This has been alluded to in a few places, but I want to get this down so I don’t forget it.
1. Visual FoxPro, a 32-bit application, runs just fine on 64-bit machines.
2. Visual FoxPro cannot use 64-bit ODBC drivers however.
3. You can use 32-bit ODBC drivers on 64-bit Windows, but you must set them up in the 32-bit ODBC Administrator. This is not the one that’s going to come up if you go through Control Panel. To invoke it, run C:\Windows\SysWow64\odbcad32.exe and add your DSNs there.
4. Do not just Start, Run, ODBCAd32.exe, as it will not bring up the right one.
5. The 32-bit drivers for SQL Server come with Windows 7 x64, so you don’t have to download them.
That is all. I hope this helps future me, and possibly future you.
Leave a Reply